Skin Secrets That Don't Break the Bank

Thursday, November 11, 2010

So I just got the news that I will be attending a black tie event on Saturday night.  Unlike many people who may find these events burdensome, I love them!

These nights are always an opportunity to mingle, and since I am marketing myself as a freelance writer (or marketing consultant, stylist, etc.), I really want to make sure that I am confident from the time I walk in to the time I leave.  Unfortunately, sometimes my skin plays a factor in this equation. 

In order to ensure smooth skin on my face and body for a strapless dress, I begin my skin preparation a couple of days before. 

Since I was not blessed with naturally smooth skin, I use Proactiv religiously.

I know this may sound like an infomercial, but I swear by it.  My boyfriend and old roommate can attest for my insanely long product routine; I always do it even when everyone else is passed out at 4am.  You can bet that I will still end the night by washing my face....

I've tried everything for my skin: prescriptions, top NYC/LA spa treatments, tons of facials (don't get me wrong, I LOVE facials, but at the end of the day, the products sold there have not proven to make any significant impact on my skin).  Thousands of dollars later, I've still come to realize that Proactiv does the best and most consistently reliable work.

So, I’ve been sticking to this plan since college (with a few detours, but I always come back), and it has been recently affirmed by my very good friend who is in her third year of med school for dermatology, that it works well.  I shall go by that, and continue to pay a fraction of the price to keep my skin clear.

So each night, I have a routine with the face wash, toner, and repairing lotion.  




I follow those with Avon’s PM moisturizer and eye cream.  This is definitely another cost effective way to keep your skin smooth and young.  Avon usually has a special every few months to buy two or three items for the price of one.  (www.avon.com)  And if you're skeptical, check out the reviews...






Twice a week I exfoliate with Avon’s ANEW micro-exfoliant, and then apply a Hungarian mud mask by Alexandria (http://www.studioalexandriala.com/). 


This combination is awesome! I have gotten compliments on my skin, and that just has never been my thing, so it may be worth a try.



I then exfoliate my entire body in the shower two to three times a week, and apply a fragrance free moisturizer followed by a cotton ball of alcohol on any problem areas.

That's about it.


Since I've been fortunate to get skin advice along my path, I thought it was worth sharing to anyone out there looking for a new skin routine that doesn't break the bank.

It's much better to smile in pictures than to hide your face.....






No comments:

Post a Comment